Grid with File Preview PDF Portfolio Layout Available Now

Look out! I’ve gone retro. I’ve gotten enough requestes to do this type of layout that I decided to carve out a few hours from my schedule and just do it.

The Grid with File Preview Layout is reminiscent of the Acrobat 9 layout of the same name. It’s extremely basic. There’s a list of files and folders on the left and a preview of the file on the right. There is no Welcome Screen for this particular layout because it would be limited to the area on the left. There also aren’t any themes… I did mention it was very basic… right?

Grid with File Preview

Grid with File Preview

Download a .ZIP containing an example file and the Grid with File Preview layout file. [5.5MB]

Installation Instructions

The easiest way to install new Portfolio Layout is via the “Create PDF Portfolio” dialog. Select File -> Create -> PDF Portfolio… then click Import Custom Layout.

Navigate to the custom layout on your computer and open it. Layout files have a .nav extension. The layout appears in the Portfolio Layouts list where you can select it.

Imported layouts are permanently added to the Custom Layouts section of the Portfolio Layouts panel. To delete a custom layout, click the X next to the layout name.

14 Responses to Grid with File Preview PDF Portfolio Layout Available Now

1. Jack Kelley August 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Thank you so so much, I work with organ transplants for Kaiser Permanente and losing Grid with File Preview format when we “upgraded” from version 9 really threw a wrench in our preparing pre-transplant patient portfolios.

2. sterrytoon September 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

You can’t believe how excited my attorneys are going to be. This is their favorite way to view a document production!! I had thousands of documents packaged in Acrobat 8, but when we upgraded, the portfolios were so slow to open we had to abandon that way to review docs. I’m going to try again with this new basic layout.

3. Scott Shankle September 17, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

You are AWESOME!

4. Nick Johnson September 19, 2012 at 12:44 am #

This is just what I need. But I’m having trouble installing it. The downloaded file is in html format, and is not a .nav file. It is therefore not recognised by Acrobat. Can you help please? I’m using Acrobat X Pro on Windows 7.

• Joel_Geraci September 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

I’ve heard of that happening with some browsers. Rather than clicking on the link to download, try right-clicking and selecting “Save Link As” or it’s equivalent in your browser.

5. Stefan Loeners October 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Indeed, a great improvement over the standard list view. However, I am sure Sterrytoon’s attorneys (and mine) would even be more excited if they had a treeview at their disposal, similar to Windows Explorer. The branches would have to be expanded by default (or by the click of a button). The advantage of having a treeview is that the it is more compact, which allows the the user to easily see the contents of all folders, without having to open them first. Am I asking too much?

• Joel_Geraci October 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Stefan: You’re not asking too much. I had briefly posted a tree view layout similar to what you described but it had a few display bugs and I had to pull it. I’m fixing those bugs now and will have the updated version posted next week or so.

6. Anthony Krake January 3, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

I cannot download the file. It says Error 404 file not available. Can someone please send me it or forward me a new link to access this. My boss does not want the click through layout and I have been working on this portfolio for 3 months now! Please help!

7. Nils S. Andersen January 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

The treeviev feature gets way to wide when going throu several subfolders, almost takes op the whole screen when you are in the 3rd subfolder and so on.

• Joel_Geraci January 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Thanks for the comment. You can adjust the size of the text so it takes up less room but I’ll also try to think about ways to reduce the streamline the UI and have it take up less room.

8. wesh January 17, 2013 at 12:07 am #

Love the Grid with preview.
    I notice what I think is a bug.
    1. View the portfolio that has a folder in it
    2. Go into a folder
    3. Switch the view from Layout to Files and then switch it back.
    4. For me, the controls to get back (HOME in the top left) disappears.

• Joel_Geraci January 17, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

Ouch! That’s bad. I’ll dig into it and come up with a fix. Couple be a week or so with my current work load. Thanks for letting me know.

9. sdautovic February 5, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Joel,

How can one obtain a copy of Grid with File Preview PDF Portfolio Layout without promo info?

Thanks!