This is the first of what I hope to be many PDF Portfolio layouts that will be freely distributed on my blog. The design is intended to be very clean and simple with minimal metadata or buttons. It comes with two built in themes, the default and one called “Sunset”. Like the default Adobe layouts, the background images can be removed or replaced.
I’d recommend this layout for no more than 25 files and it’ll look better if they are all the same size. Also, for aesthetic reasons, use an odd number of files and place the file you want to be seen first in the middle of the list.
It’s also not designed for multimedia since you can’t play videos directly in the layout; that’ll be in another layout I’m working on.
Finally, there’s quite a bit of overhead to the layout itself, about 3.5Mb, so if you’re concerned with file size, this isn’t the layout for you.
Installation:You can create PDF Portfolios using this layout in Acrobat X but your Portfolios can be opened in Reader 9 and higher. You only need to do these steps once.
- Shut down Acrobat X if it’s running
- Download the “PracticalPDF_Horizon.nav” file to your desktop.
- Start Acrobat X and select File -> Create -> PDF Portfolio…
- Click “Import Custom Layout…”
- Locate the “PracticalPDF_Horizon.nav” file that you just downloaded
- Either click “Add Files” or “Finish”
The “PracticalPDF Horizon” Layout is now added to the list of available layouts for Portfolios.